Friday, December 12, 2008

Arrival in Malaysia

We’ve only been in KL for several hours and already we’ve had tonnes and tonnes of fun. Well I had, though when we first arrived, I wasn’t enjoying it as much, partly because of being scared s**tless that we’d get mugged and also because of the heat. Or somewhat lack of it. When I first got here, it was actually cold. And all I bought was a pair of boardshorts and no warm clothes at all. But soon I warmed up to the weather and the idea of being mugged. Well maybe not that but I wasn’t as afraid as I was before. I was able to walk around with my hands out of my pockets lol.

Well we didnt get to finish the blog, and just made dot points as the day went by because we were too lazy to make real blogs and also because we didnt have free internet and had to pay like 50RM for 5 hours, of which only one person could use at a time, four of those hours were used by Gabriel. But oh well. We had so much fun in the hotel room that we didnt even think about blogging. So enjoy this dot point blog, instead of those essays we normally write.

Things we did in Day 1
• Hotpot at Uncle Duck in Times Square
• Bin Tang walk in Bukit Bin Tang
• Sungei Wang
• Low Yat Plaza
• Explore around KL Sentral
• Gab’s words about public transport: “Public transport fail; 16 minutes for a bus”. Whats more, the system is sooo crapass. Have to buy so many tickets to get around, everything is packed as hell and its sooo bloody slow. Its worse than Melbourne. Hell even some of hte tickets don’t work. I was so glad to be back in Singapore with the Ezy-link system with quick trains that arrive every 6 minutes
• Get back at like 2 and have fun in the hotel room after cramming the five of us into the back of a taxi, though Wei hao rode in the front to tell the driver where to go.

Things we have done: Day 2
• Tried to go to Genting
• Couldnt so spent the morning around Petaling (think thats how you spell it) where Betty got three tops, think all three were Spongebob Squarepants ones.
• Then went to random shopping centres
• Then went to Petronas and looked around shops next to it
• Walked around the park and took more pictures of petronas
• Went to the aquarium and looked at fishes before going for a $15 fish spa, where you stick your feet in this pool of water and let these fish called Doctor fish or stone suckers that eat the dry skin off your feet
• Gabriel’s quote about Malaysia: “Why is Malaysia so gged? This is the city centre” and the place we were in had open sewers and cracked sidewalks T.G.I. Fridays (Yes they have them here too) and ate lunch, where we had a Cajun chicken salad, some salmon and pasta dish and another pasta dish. We also ordered drinks. Betty and Linda wanted Lemon Lime bitters but instead could only get lemonade and 7-up, Gabriel had a pepsi and I had this drink called a Strawberry sunrise because it looked nice.
• After TGI. Friday we went to...KL Tower I think. Took a shuttle coach up there and went up to the observation deck, where my ears popped. So nice up there. The view was great. And was indoors so there wasn’t any wind, unlike the rialto and I wasn’t scared of it because I wasn’t actually at any risk of falling off and splattering myself over the sidewalk. I bought myself a nice key chain there, which I might actually use or just keep as a souvenir
• After KL Tower went back to Petaling Street to do some shopping where Gabriel and Wei Hao bought a cople of fragrances for 76 (Wei Hao “haggled” it down to 75 ringit) to ringit for both, despite Wei Hao’s bottle being bigger lol. That said though, Wei Hao’s bottle was weird when he took it out of the packaging, like it was soaked in the stuff, like the bottle leaked or something, while Gabriel’s was in pristine condition. I got badly ripped off when I bought a couple of shirts for 50 ringit, but I didnt think it was that bad. Thats like 12.50 for a burbury and levis top, fake though but looks real enough. I think.
• After that had dinner at this place outside that served deer and frog. We ordered a plate of sizzling deer, bok choi and eggs with crab which was soo nice. Deer does taste just like beef except tougher. We also ordered drinks, which Gabriel and I had a shanty, which I had no idea what it was and thought it Champaign so I asked the guy if it was champaign and he thought I was asking for champaign lol.
• After dinner just headed back to the hotel where we made fun of Betty (we seemed to have been making fun of her more ever since we arrived in Malaysia, calling her a tofu and because of her extreme paleness), went through the photos and Linda went off to meet her future brother-in-law to catch up and make plans for the next day and Betty got Wei Hao to draw a picture of her. Kinda reminded me of Titanic for some reason lol.

Day 3
• Woke up as early as we could, got dressed and went out to the food court to get breakfast because the line to the hotel restaurant was way way way too long. Looked around and nothing was really open (I couldn’t even ask where the nearest atm was. All I would get was “10 o’ clock”) so I just went down stairs to coffee bean where I got a white chocolate mocha, which was huge for a regular while Betty and Linda got noodles and Gabriel and Wei Hao went and got Maccas, and apparently somehow Wei Hao spilled his coffee all over the place and after her noodles, Betty went to Maccas and got hashbrowns as well.
• First thing of the day was to go to Batu (think thats how you spell it) Caves, where we walked up (or staggered up) the 200 and more steps that leads up to it. Inside it was pretty dark and musty but it was pretty nice to look at. Lots of rocks to take pictures of lol. There were also some really nice looking Hindu Shrines.
• It was like bucketing rain in the morning and we had to wade our way through all these puddles when we got there. Also the five of us also packed into a taxi again, though this time I was riding shotgun so much more room in the back. Man the taxi driver was like nuts. He was going at like 140-160 and his speedometer was like stuffed because it kept on bouncing up and down between 140 and 160. I think he was like going at 200 because Gabriel said something which I cant remember.
• After exploring the caves and slowly making the harrowing journey back down, we stop at the nearby cafe place thing where Gabriel had a coke and we just sat around waiting for Linda’s future brother-in-law to pick us up and take us around. Linda tested if her phone worked by sending me a text saying “You suck! You’re a loser”
• Soon Andy picks us up and drives us to get lunch, which we eat at this place which was really nice. We had lettuce with bukit teh which I haven’t had before. Gabriel’s grandfather told me it was really nice but hadn’t had a chance to eat it in Singapore.
• After lunch, we were planning on going to Sunway Lagoon, which is kinda like a theme park like Genting, but because of the bad weather, we decided to go to this shopping mall called Utama or something. So funny, in the ride there, Andy was joining in on the rest of us making fun of Betty’s lack of colour lol.
• We arrive and we just split up, with Andy going off to do his own thing, Linda and Betty going on a shopping spree and the guys (Gabs, Wei Hao and I) just walking around aimlessly looking at clothes which we didnt buy for some reason, proably because we felt we didnt need any, though I could have used a new top or two, or a couple of pairs of jeans. The girls went wild, they bought like four pairs of shoes between them and several tops as well.
• After we met up, Betty and Wei Hao got food from A&W, where I had a root beer float earlier in the day and got sick from it.
• Gabriel, Linda and I went off to shop so Betty and Wei Hao could have their “alone time”
• Afterwards Andy picked us up, and drove us to the second best seafood place to have the best seafood dinner ever. The fried crabs with egg was the best. The meat was soo tender. There was this tofu thing which was pretty spicy, and after Linda tried it, she goes “Betty, try the tofu”, knowing Betty cant hack hot foods lol. Lol, Andy is soo funny. After Betty tries the tofu and goes all red, he goes “look, she’s not white anymore”
• After dinner, Andy took us DVD shopping where I got so much. I was sooo excited. I wanted to get so many of them, like Burn Notice and 30 Rock, but decided not to since Andy already took it up and passed it to the guy for packaging. It costed me sooo much for them, but I “think it was worth it, since the quality is really good, except maybe for my Hayao Miyazaki collection, which is in jap and Im not sure if they have English subtitles. I payed for 200 RM for all these DVD shows, like Supernatural, Dexter, Reaper and something else. All of which were perfectly legal. Yep. Yesiree. Nothing illegal about it. Oddly enough, on that morning, I withdrew 200 RM expecting to go to Sunway Lagoon but didnt and instead went shopping, which I didnt buy anything.
• Afterwards, Andy gave us a tour of KL and pointed out to Betty “a different type of spa...that spa you get a happy ending” lol. He also showed us the twin towers at night which looked soo pretty. All shiny because of the stainless steel. Lol, Andy told us how they cheated by putting in an antenna to make it the worlds tallest tower.
• Afterwards, he drove us back to the hotel where we had an all nighter (well tried, we went to sleep at like 4) where Betty gave Wei Hao and I facials (Gabriel managed to get his way out of it. I think I was tipsy, thats why I was unable to fight back. I’ll explain later why I was tipsy) and we all had drinks. Gabriel and I had a Heineken, Linda and Wei Hao had this drink that was pretty much the same as vodka cruisers except were called something else. Wei Hao also bought a shandy which I thought was Bettys but wasn’t.
• We had sooo much trouble opening the Heinekens because we didnt have bottle openers. We tried using the tabletops and the bed wheels lol and ended up using spoons, which gave Linda a scar on her finger lol (not yet though). As soon as Gabriel opened his, it like frothed so he just stuck the whole thing into his mouth. The Heineken was sooo nice. So smooth so I didnt really notice it and drank it too quickly, which meant I was red-faced and tipsy the whole night lol.

Last Day:
• After spending the entire night up (well as much as we could) we woke up at like 12:30 or something, when we were supposed to check out at 12. We rush to get things packed and just hoped we didnt leave anything behind, though we did. I think I left my luggage keys in there and Gabriel left his power adapter in there so had to buy a new one later in the day when he realised it was missing.
• We have breakfast at Coffee Bean where I had a brew of the day coffee which was pretty nice. It tasted like real coffee. I had it just plain black with no sugar and it was soo good. Wouldnt mind having another. Gabriel had a regular latte, which he commented that it was really big, and Betty had a iced white chocolate. We also went there for the free internet, which we were able to enjoy after Gabriel used up all of the one we bought for the hotel room. I managed to read a bit of the news before Betty took the laptop from me to go on MSN.
• From there I went with Linda to get a DVD wallet for the DVD wallets we purchased the night before, which we got from Justco. I let her pick the design because I knew she would have good tastes, pity that it looks so girly. Oh well. I’ll be keeping the wallet anyway, since Linda’s keeping the cases to her legitimate DVDs.
• We wait in line to pay for it, and we have to wait really long because of the tonnes of shoppers. Justco has this really inefficient way of purchasing stuff, where you give your stuff to a counter, they give you a receipt which you pay for at another counter and then you have to go back and get your stuff. Man, its as efficient as their public transport.
• After I get the wallet, I head back to the coffee bean where I planned on putting my DVDs into the new wallet but I realised that the DVDs were in my carry bag, which was with the place where all the bags were kept so I had to get the ticket to get my bag out. Once I got my bag, I realised that I didnt have the keys to unlock my bag so I take it outside to Gabriel, hoping he would have my spare key. As it turns out, he doesn’t so I had to go to the bag keeping guy to see if he could break open my lock, which he takes me to some taxi driver outside to try and break it open with a pair of pliers, which they couldn’t. So they take it to a wall and try to close the pliers by hammering it against the wall with another pair of pliers. And hurrah they got my bag open and showed it to me. Unfortunately they opened it by breaking my zips off along with the lock...=.=...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
• So I take my newly opened bag back outside to show Gabriel and Betty what happened and head off to find a new bag in Justco, so I can put my stuff in to take home back to Singapore. I saw this really nice Nike bag, which cost 200RM and this bright orange Aldolfo bag that was for 59RM, and since I felt cheap, just went for the ugly Aldolfo bag.
• Afterwards just veged out in Coffee Bean, and couldn’t use the computer because Betty drained the battery.
• Then had lunch at this place called Manhattan Fish Market or something which was alright. Wasnt feeling too well so didnt eat much. Think it was because I was soo worried and pissed off about my bag that made me sick.
• After lunch, we saw Wei Hao off, as he was going to get picked up by his Dad and after that, we waited to get picked up ourselves by Airebus to take us back to sweet sweet beautiful, clean and efficient Singapore. Bust ride was a bit gay though, had no power so couldn’t charge my laptop and had no lights so had trouble filling out my form and had no sleep because Betty was flopping about in her sleep next to me.

And thats pretty much my experience in KL. Not sure how others feel about it but Im not sure I’ll be going back anytime soon lol. Not a bad place to visit, just not a great place to live in. I would blog about my last few days in Singapore but...meh. Too lazy and having way too much fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home