Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day after tomorrow

After today and then after tomorrow, and then a few hours after I wake up, I shall be on a plane (on my own) back to Melbourne, with a quick detour at Darwin. And then after a short taxi ride which I hope I can afford, I’ll be back in the safe confines of my own house, in my own city, in my own country. But before then, we’ll be holding a massive barbecue tonight with Gabriel’s Singaporean friends and some people from Melbourne who are in Singapore right now, such as Jeremy, Karina and her cousin, and Paul Block. Yes. Paul Block. Giant South African Paul Block. Anyway, we hope we all have a good time tonight. Earlier today we went to the nearby theme park and went on a couple of the rides, such as go-karting and rollercoasters, but they don’t compare to the ones we went to in Ocean Park which were 10 times more scary. At least. That and half the rides were closed for maintenance so we couldn’t do all that much. Afterwards we just got drinks which we would be drinking tonight at the chalet we’re staying in over the weekend, which we checked in yesterday and stayed a night, staying up to play cards, wii bowling and boxing and this board game called Life which was fun, where you just spin this wheel and move until the game ends and sees who has most money, based on income, stocks, house and bonuses included in the job.

Over the past week, ever since New Years, lots of things have been happening. One such thing was that Pete had headed off to Malaysia with another Auntie who was in Singapore as well, and has been there ever since, and would probably be staying there until he has to come back for his flight. I had to see him off to Somerset Station, as Gabriel had to attend a family photo somewhere. After I dropped Pete off, I decided to explore on my own along Orchard Rd and was hoping to go to the big shopping centres like Wisma and Takashimiya that Gabriel never takes me to but instead I went the wrong way and ended up in Doubhi Gout lol and walked around Plaza Singapura, where I got a pair of jeans and a belt at Ip Zone for like $26.5 because everything in the store was 50% off which was awesome. Along the way I also bought a couple of Arnold Palmer shirts for $22 each which I thought was ok, until I tried them on at home and found they were too big lol. It was also distressing to find that I could take off my jeans and put them back on without unbuttoning or unzipping anything, which was a key reason why I bought the belt. That and it looked pretty cool because it was chequered and Gabriel said chequered was in so, thought I might as well get it.

What else happened...well we met up with Gabriel’s cousin Ben and his friend Winnie, who showed us around their School, Singaopre Polytechnic, which is huge. Has like 5 food courts apparently. It was so big that the students there designed and got the government to build them their own MRT station, which is Dover Station. Apparently the school covers three Bus stops lol.
After that, they treated us to Sushi train, which he had the buffet that was only $15. We ate sooo much. We ate like 26 plates between the four of us, which Ian says wasn’t that much but it felt like a lot. Had to go to the toilet like twice to make room lol. We could barely walk afterwards. From there we just walked around until Winnie had to go back home and the three of us just went to watch Transporter 3 which was alright. Wasnt that bad. Fighting scenes weren’t as good as Ip Man but the plot wasn’t too bad. As you would expect from Luc Besson, the guy who wrote The Fifth Element. From there, we just headed back home.

We also met up with James’ group as they were in Singapore as well and we did a couple of things together. First time we met up, we just bummed around Orchard Rd and went to a couple of shopping Centres where we couldn’t afford anything and for some reason, we spent a while looking at male underwear. Dont ask me why. We also had lunch at the Philippine place Gabriel said had really strong chilli, which Phui Mun just scooped a pile onto her plate lol. It only burns really strong at the start but after a while, it dies down and don’t even notice it. The food there was pretty nice. I had the grilled chicken but couldn’t finish it as Ian had plopped his half eaten fried chicken which I liked better but couldn’t finish that either. After shopping for nothing, we bummed around, did nothing for a while until we went to watch a movie, which was Seven Pounds, with Will Smith. The movie was alright, pretty sad. There were moments where I had to hold back tears. But it is pretty predictable, though there were a couple of shocks which I did not expect at all. After the movie, we had dinner at a nearby kopitiam and had stingray, which James felt was really hot. From there we just went our separate ways and Gabs and I headed back to Choa Chu Kang.

The second time we met up with them was at Clarke Quay, no not to drink but to do the reverse bungee which everyone has been so enthusiastic to do, possibly with the exception of myself, as Im not such a fan of thrill rides such as that. After dinner with Gabriel’s family, Gabriel and I MRT’d down there, expecting to get there at 10, as was planned. However, as we got onto the green line, Marcus calls me (Gabriel’s phone had died, again) and I give it to Gabriel and apparently they’re there already and asked us to get there now, and this was at like 9:40. We ended up getting there a bit later than expected, because we missed our interchange at Outram Park for some reason and had to catch a later interchange to get back to Clarke Quay. We also got there later because we had to make our way from the MRT station all the way to where the reverse bungee was, which was pretty far. Once we get there, we get our tickets, which I decided not to do the giant swing because I knew it would be more scary than the reverse bungee because you’re suspended in a great height for a longer time. We get our tickets, take a piss and then we’re ready to go. Those doing the giant swing (James, Marcus, PM, Mok and Gabs) went first and apparently it was scary as hell because they were so high and Ian took so long to push the button that releases the swing lol. I had no idea how it was like but from the screams, it seemed quite scary lol. The swing seemed to swing for ages, like three minutes. After that, we headed straight for the reverse bungee, which James, Marcus and Pm go on first. They screamed sooo loudly lol. All the time, all you hear were screams lol. It was so funny at the start because the woman was like “alright, countdown from 10” and a second later she goes “10” and all of a sudden, up they go lol. Gabs and I was like “ooohh shiiitt” lol. It was so scary because you see Marcus’ legs flailing everywhere lol.
After them, it was Gabriel, Ian and my turn, and we were like scared shitless lol. Well I was. We sit down and get strapped to the device and we get rotated backward and the woman tries to distract us by getting us to stretch our arms to our feet, but we were like “stuff that” and just laid back. And then she goes “don’t worry, not yet” and then whoosh, we were sent flying. It was so scary, being sent up so fast. Can feel all the G-forces pushing against your body as you go up and down and feels as though you’re being lifted off the seat. Its pretty scary because the harness isn’t hard and is pretty flimsy. I held onto the bars underneath me so tightly lol. My arms and pecs still hurt from that lol. After a while you get used to it and it stops going so fast and can actually relax. As we were being lowered, I just felt like kicking the guy in the face lol.
After that we were going to get a drink at Hooters but decided to just get a coffee from TCC. I got an orea frappe thingm but wanted to get one that had rum in it but didnt because it was too expensive. After that, James and crew went back home and Gabriel and I was going to catch an MRT back home but since services had ended by then, we had to catch a taxi back. The taxi driver was nuts apparently; Gabriel said he was doing 140 in a 90 zone lol. And when we approached a taxi stop, he goes “oh quick, put on your seatbelts” and Gabriel and I already had em on and I watched as the taxi driver pull his down and just hold onto it until he passes the checkpoint.

It was also Jared’s birthday, for which we had a small party at home where we sang Happy Birthday and had cake. There was also this time where Jared dropped his toothbrush into the toilet lol. I was laughing my ass off at that. I see him in the kitchen pouring boiling water into a cup and I just figure he’s making milo or something before he sleeps, until he walks into the room and I see he’s stirring it with his toobrush and Im like “...what the hell are you doing” lol. Then there was this other time where I see him in the kitchen boiling water and I figure he’s just making milo before he sleeps, until he walks into the room stirring his cup with a toothbrush, and Gabriel and I just look at him and he goes “don’t ask” lol.
Anyway, thats all from me for now. I’ve pretty much covered everything anyway. Not much left to do here. Not much time left either. Before I know it, I’ll be back in Melbourne craving Roti Prata lol. Hope to see you all very soon.

*Forgot to mention that while on the Reverse Bungee, when you're going down and facing down at the same time, the harness tends to ride up your crotch lol. When that happened, I was screaming " argh my crotch my crotch" lol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home